Jacksonville, Fla. Mayor John Peyton created the Office of Sustainability Initiatives within the city's Environmental and Compliance Department in 2008. The office undertakes initiatives related to the management of energy, recyclables and waste materials and protecting natural resources and does so in a way that has a positive economic impact for the city.
Less than 6 months later, Peyton created a Sustainable Building Program that complemented and expanded the goals of the Office of Sustainability Initiatives. In establishing the department, Peyton outlined five "areas of focus:"
1) Green Building and Energy Conservation- Ensuring that all new facilities and new improvements to existing facilities that will be constructed with city funds are designed, constructed, operated, and maintained according to the principles outlined in the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design ("LEED") standards, and/or according to recognized best management practices for sustainability.
2) Vehicle Replacement and Operation- Ensuring that the city's Green Fleet program procures and operates a fleet of vehicles that minimizes environmental impact, enhances domestic energy security, and maximizes fuel efficiency and diversification.
3) Materials and Waste Management- Ensuring that all departments utilize recycling services and pursue integrated waste management strategies that include reducing consumption, collecting used materials for reuse or recycling and purchasing cost-competitive recycled and recyclable products.
4) Water Conservation- Ensuring that the city demonstrates wise water use in city facilities, buildings and parks through identification of water inefficiencies and implementation of water conservation projects to improve plumbing fixtures, irrigation systems, swimming pool operations and other water uses.
5) Sustainable Maintenance Practices- Ensuring that all city employees and contractors are familiar with and follow the city's Sustainability Policy and support systematic environmental management in all departments.