Laredo's investment in transportation infrastructure and services strives to provide significant benefits in terms of mobility, travel choice, and quality of life for its residents.
This city's plan identifies a variety of projects and programs that seek to establish a safe and efficient multimodal transportation system, thus becoming more sustainable for both the present and the future. These investments help to achieve a variety of goals, including:
1) Improving economic activities;
2) Increasing the safety and security of all modes of transportation;
3) Improving accessibility and mobility of both people and freight;
4) Fostering sustainable growth;
5) Integrating different modes of transportation;
6) Improving air quality;
7) Promoting system management and more efficient operations;
8) Stepping up system preservation efforts; and
9) Promoting social and geographic equity.
The economic vitality of the Laredo region relies upon a strong transportation infrastructure. The expanded multimodal transportation will serve business, residential, and mixed‐use centers. Transit, bicycle, and pedestrian facilities will be linked in a network to a growing inventory of residential developments, as well as employment and commercial centers. When transportation systems are efficient, they provide economic and social opportunities and benefits.
As the Laredo region continues to grow, it will be important to strike an acceptable balance between economic development and mobility with the desire for a high quality of life that includes clean air and water, environmental preservation, and recreational opportunities.