Sunnyvale has developed an extensive framework for environmental sustainability. Through initiatives such as:
1) Air quality - carbon dioxide reduction plan, use of low emission vehicles and carpooling;
2) Green community design practices and over-the-counter processing of solar applications;
3) Energy reduction - installation of solar panels at fire department, installation of energy management systems for HVAC systems;
4) Land use- maintain neighborhood parks, landscapes and open space in ways which minimize the need for water;
5) Transportation - improve the transportation system and safety design to optimize signal efficiency and minimize congestion, improve air quality and reduce energy consumption;
6) Waste reduction - solid waste reduction and re-use collection services and compost workshops, hazardous waste drop-off, more extensive recycling services; and
7) Water resource management - provide low-flow showerheads and aerators to residents free of charge, recycled water programs, stormwater runoff programs and managements.
Sunnyvale offers a wealth of public information and school education programs on each of the different sustainability initiatives with tips and instructions to help residents plan for a greener future.