FEMA Awards $2.8 Million Grant for Home Elevations

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 7:11 pm

MARGATE, N.J. --The Federal Emergency Management Agency has announced the award of a $2.8 million grant to partially reimburse the cost to elevate homes in Margate, Brigantine and Longport.

The federal Hazard Mitigation Grant was awarded to the three communities in Atlantic County with a Class 5 designation from the Community Rating System in 2017. The Community Rating System recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum National Flood Insurance Program standards. Margate, Brigantine and Longport were selected as a reward for their significant efforts to build resiliency into their daily actions.

The grant reimburses 75 percent of the costs of elevation for 22 homes in the three communities. The remaining 25 percent for each structure is the responsibility of the property owners.

An involved application process took place in the spring of 2017 before the application for funding went forward with specific properties identified. Rutala Associates, a local planning firm, prepared the application.

The program also carries the requirement that properties using the FEMA mitigation grant are required to maintain flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program in perpetuity. The flood insurance on the property becomes part of the property deed.

The grant reimburses property owners 75 percent of the expense of raising their homes for greater flood protection. While this is a significant savings, applicants must be prepared to cover the entire cost of the construction and reimbursement is provided by FEMA only after all work is completed in accordance with the program requirements.

"Margate took the lead on this application and the city staff has contacted the awardees to start the process," said Mayor Becker. "We are happy to be able to assist property owners to elevate their homes out of harm’s way."

In 2016, the city of Ventnor took the lead on a similar application and received funding to elevate eight homes in Ventnor and Margate. There is also a third application pending approval by FEMA where Brigantine is the lead applicant, this grant submission includes 49 properties in Brigantine, Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate, Longport and Somers Point.

Grant funds to assist homeowners to elevate their homes are offered by FEMA on an annual basis.

SOURCE: Federal Emergency Management Agency

More about

More about

More about

Online Poll

Loading…

Featured Events